On reading an article on a blog recently, I came across a point which interested me. Take the scenario for example that a gentleman goes into a shop and says ''I will give you £2.50 for these socks''. The price of the socks originally is £3.50. Evidently the gentleman does not purchase these socks at £2.50 and consequently pays the full price.
The blogger's point concerning this example was that; ''why should translators have to work within a business where on portals for translation work, the price for this work is offered to them by potential clients?''
Surely then, similar to other trades it should be the Translator who proposes a price at which they will work, as opposed to a price being offered to them by the client??
I was very much interested by this point as by speaking to translators who I've met, some my University Lecturers, I've heard that the pressures of finding work within the field results in this being the situation that Translators are left in - considering the recession for example - having to accept the terms set to them by their potential clients.
No comments:
Post a Comment