Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Translation and Interpreting Exam



      The other week I took a Translation and Interpreting exam as part of my degree course. One particular aspect of the module I find particularly interesting and applicable to everyday life is the use of paraphrasing and cultural substitution. What is meant by these is that firstly, some words in the source text (the language from which the translator must work) do not have a direct or synonymous translation in the target text (language into which the translator must work). This is something called non-equivalence - and it is a nightmare for Translators and Interpreters!!! 



But, strategies such as paraphrasing are very very useful when attempting to convey the same message, whilst finding a suitable match. Some things, for example the SNCF in France (the French Rail System) - there is no direct translation, and so we can paraphrase, using translations such as the 'French Rail System'... This works well. However, if you are aiming your translation toward an audience which understand or who hold a particular amount of knowledge concerning the message in the translation - then SNCF may be fine. It is subject to the decision of the translator alone to decide which translation befits the audience and the register. 

Now I know so far this seems pretty heavy/boring stuff, but believe me there is a point to this. For translators and interpreters, it is vital that one is not only bi-lingual, but also bi-cultural...



The point of this is then that you can translate texts which concern culture-specific concepts... For example in Germany there is the Oktoberfest - the majority of non-German speakers/students would not understand this concept - and so therefore to convey the message effectively - the translator must know this topic inside and out...


Well, I hope that wasn't too boring for you - I find it fascinating and it is a vital skill for a translator to hold, and so I extend my knowledge of not only foreign languages, but also foreign cultures... Combined with this I feel it's soooo important to extend ones knowledge of their mother tongue - for idiomaticity... 

No comments:

Post a Comment